Ingleton is a small village in the South West of County Durham, about 2.5 miles north of the river Tees.
Ingleton consists of about 820 acres of land and stands on raised ground about 390 feet above sea level, and is placed on an outcrop of sandstone surrounded by boulder clay. It is situated on the Staindrop to Darlington road, 3 miles from Staindrop and 8 miles from Darlington. Barnard Castle and Bishop Auckland are also about 8 miles away, and it is about 30 miles from the coast.
Ingleton was probably a Saxon settlement, as villages ending with ton were a Saxon name for a settlement. The Saxons raided our shores in A.D. 449. The name is thought to have two possible meanings in Old English. Ingleton may relate to either 'Ingeld's (or Ingwald's) farmstead' or could possibly translate to 'Farmstead of the English'
The first written record of Ingleton was in King Chanute's reign, he was born in A.D. 994 and died in A.D. 1016, he had a palace at Raby, perhaps the same site of Raby Castle, and he made a barefoot pilgrimage to Durham and gave Ingleton lands to the church. Ingleton then passed to the Neville's, and as a member of the barony of Raby, The Duke of Cleveland, (the title of the Neville's) was Lord of the Manor.
Most of the old houses in Ingleton are built of stone, The main street contains the oldest standing architecture of the late 17th century and 18th century. Two domestic dwellings near to the post office have been dated to 1683 (Ivy Cottage) and 1701 (Glendon), whilst at the west end of the road two houses were constructed in 1627 (Hillside Farm) and 1695 (Greencroft).
Oaklea House is part of a farmhouse of late 17th or early 18th century date. It stands on the south side of the village. It was probably originally a longhouse though the end which sheltered the animals is now missing.
The Village of Ingleton
Ingleton parish was formed by order of council on January 13th 1845; the Church cost £430 to erect and seats 206. A burial ground was added in 1876. In 1988 Ingleton was declared a Conservation Village; the churchyard was not included because of possible problems with the headstones.
The village school was built by subscription in 1816; part of it was used as a Primitive Methodist chapel. A new school was built in 1875, and in 1893 another classroom was added and other alterations at a cost of £300. It then accommodated 150 pupils. A reading room was established. in 1889. Children attended school from age of 5-15, those passing the 11+ going to Bishop Auckland Grammar School/ until 1959) after which they went to Barnard Castle Grammar School and Staindrop Secondary Modem. The present School was built in 1967 in Manor Road.
Ingleton Methodist Chapel was built in 1907, the stone laying ceremony took place on the 6th of July 1907, the building cost £500, and the land was a gift from Mr John Thornton and the builders were Mr R. C. Homer and Mr G. Beadle, both from Ingleton.
The old village hall was purchased in 1935 from Darlington Greenbank Hospital by the Women's Institute, with a loan of money from Mr I.C. Bainbridge, Mrs George Thornton, and Mr Ernest Thornton. A site was purchased from Mr Edwin Snaith and after Mr Foster (architect for Lord Barnard) had given his services free, the erection of the building was commenced by Mr Howden to whom £100 was to be paid immediately. The opening ceremony was performed by Mrs Lloyd Pease on November 22nd.
As it was the Kings Jubilee Year the hall was named The Ingleton and District Women's Institute Jubilee Hall. The debt was finally paid off in April 1944. The Army requisitioned the hall during the war in 1939-45. The hall was demolished early in the new year of 2000, and building started on a new hall, which was opened in the same year.
The hall is well used, the W.I. the second Wednesday of the month, Art class on a Monday afternoon, Tai Chi Tuesday and there is also a Wine Club, a Book Club, and many more events.
Ingleton Cricket Club was started in the 19th century in a field where Council Farm is now, they then moved to a field behind the old school and about 1960 moved to its present field at the East end of the Village, down Gainford Road, Friendly matches were played until 1961 when league cricket was introduced.